Over the years, women are entering the professional arena in large numbers and with it has arisen various issues regarding women’s security, safety and maintaining women’s dignity and self-respect. In this direction, the Honorable Supreme Court of India has issued a directive to various organisations and institutions to set up commissions to monitor and safeguard the interests of women in the society as well as at their workplace. Gujarat University has also constituted a cell for the above mentioned purpose.
At College level, the Collegiate Women Development Cell (CWDC) began its activities in 2005-06. Since then, various efforts are being done to empower girl students by giving them self-defense training and enabling them to become financially independent by way of giving them vocational training. Over these years, we have conducted courses in Garment Designing and Development and Martial Arts and lectures on Peace and Harmony Stress Management,, competitions in Essay-writing, Elocution Workshops in Art and Craft, Yogasana and other such programs that go a long way towards the holistic development of our female students.
Activities during 2018-19
- Congratulations Dr. M. Desai, Convener, CWDC-RJTCC for the following awards
- Outstanding Humanitarian Award, City of Harvey, May 2018, Chicago.
- SADHBHAVNA Award (with 51000 Rs cash which is donated to AMWA Public Trust), Sadhbhavna Foram Kailas,Gurukul, Mahuva ,June,2018.
- Certificate of Recognition ,Wajra O'force & Golgappa Club , Teacher's Day- 5th September,2018.
- An orientation program was organized by CWDC- RJTCC on 25th July, 2018 at the college campus. Prof. Smita Joshi & Prof. Heena Shukla highlighted the role of CWDC in empowering girls. A Power Point presentation showcasing the activities of CWDC- RJTCC was also presented on the occasion.
- CWDC-RJTCC, in collaboration with Wajra o' Force Empowerment Foundation celebrated Rakshabandhan by tying Rakhis to the patients and staff at the Civil Hospital, Ahmedabad, and August, 2018.
- Dr. Hasina Kapadia,MD-DGO(Director,Mahin Life Care Service Private Ltd) conducted a session on Gynecological problems, confusions, misconceptions & their solutions for girls students in the seminar on 31st August,2018.
Activities during 2017-18
- Three day Clay Art training program:The Collegiate Women’s Development Cell (CWDC) , RJTCC organized a three day Clay Art training program from 30th January to 1st Feb, 2018. Divya Prajapati, our own student, ably trained the participants.On 2nd February, the clay models prepared by the students were displayed, in an impromptu art gallery setup in the college foyer. The gallery also displayed the photo framing art by Pushpak, a T Y B Com student. This was as a pre- information for next year’s proposed training program. Students, Faculty members and Administrative staff visited the exhibition and appreciated the efforts of the students. Principal CA (Dr.) Hiten Parikh along with the conveners, Dr. Prof. Maherunnissa Desai and Prof. Usha Venkatesan, felicitated the mentor, Divya Prajapti, for her dedicated effort.
- The day to celebrate the birth of girl child: The Collegiate Women’s Development Cell of R.J.Tibrewal Commerce College celebrated youth day as Girl child day on 12th January 2017 in the college campus along with the conveners Dr Prof Maherunnissa Desai and Prof Usha Venkatesan. Enthusiastic guidance and support by Principal CA Dr Hiten Parikh and other faculty members gave great support to the cause. Flowers and pamphlets were distributed to all the girl students as a token of celebration. A rally was taken out to highlight the cause. With due guidance and support, the event remained quite successful. This day was supported by Shri Sanjay Jani who celebrates this day to honor the Girl child every year to mark the birth of his twin daughters. On this day, he distributes roses and pamphlets to educational institutions and hospitals to create awareness of the importance of girl child in the Society.
- Visit to the Hindu Spiritual and Service Fair: The Collegiate Women’s Development Cell of R. J Tibrewal Commerce College visited the Hindu Spiritual and Service Fair along with the convener Prof. Usha Venkatesan at GMDC on 5th January, 2018 and attended an event on Nari and Social Development. Eminent women personalities of India like Ms Indumati katghare, Ms Dilnawaz Variyava, Ms Manisha Kothekar and others were the chief guests of the event. They put across the issues like Instilling patriotism, role of women in Health and Education, agro-ecology. The event offered personal fulfillment along with spiritual enrichment.
- Awareness Program by C.W.D.C through AMWA Trust:The Collegiate Women’s Development Cell of R.J. Tibrewal Commerce College in active collaboration with AMWA Trust conducted an event to spread awareness on the Micro Financing Scheme at AMWA trust, Juhapura on 3rd January, 2018. Mr. M.U.Sharif Desai, President, Maher credit and supply Co-operative Society Ltd. was the chief guest for the event. He appreciated the women audience through his speech. The convener of Collegiate Women’s Development Cell and president of AMWA trust, Prof. Dr. Mehrunnisa Desai, addressed the audience about women empowerment, importance of financial security and savings and interacted with them. The members of C.W.D.C – Ayushi, Shubhendu, Prashant, Devarshi and Harshad spread awareness on the subjects like Importance of savings, education and economic independence. The interns from Karnavati University elaborated the audience regarding micro financing scheme. With due support of the members of AMWA trust, the event came out to be a great success.
- The CWDC (Collegiate Women’s Development Cell) at R.J.Tibrewal Commerce College organized Rakshabandhan Celebrations at the Mahila Police Station, Vastrapur on 5th August 2017 where 15 volunteers actively participated in the event. The Head PI Ms. M.A.Singh inspired the girl students for a journey towards self-dependence. Rakhi was tied to all the female inspectors to pay respect for their contribution to the society. CA Dr. Principal Hiten Parikh, along with the conveners Dr. Prof. Maherunnissa Desai and Prof. Usha Venkatesan coordinated and assisted the volunteers in making the event a success.
- CWDC (The Collegiate Women’s Development Cell) at R.J.Tibrewal Commerce College conducted it’s Orientation Programme on 3rd August 2017, Thursday. Dr. Mrs. Rajashree Bhatt and Dr. Savita Gandhi were the chief guests of the program. They delivered lectures on “Women Empowerment and Gender Equality”. A presentation prepared by the students on the working of cell. 15 volunteers assisted the program that was attended by 150 participants. The CWDC committee; Principal CA (Dr.) Hiten Parikh, conveners Dr. (Prof.) Maherunnissa Desai and Prof. Usha Venkatesan spoke extensively on the achievements and activities held in the past years and also about the future scope and plans of the CWDC.
Activities during 2016-17
- C.W.D.C and NSS Unit of R.J.Tibrewal Commerce College, organised a Seminar on Gender Equality on 12th January, 2017. ACP of Vastrapur Police Station, Ms Bharti Pandya presided the event and enlightened the students about the simplicity of approaching the police and highlighted the fact that police is a friend. Interesting lectures were delivered by Dr Shubha Nigam, Prof. L.D. Arts College who talked about advertisement and media where women are objectified. Prof Smita Joshi of M.B. Patel, Rashtrabhasha college, said that students should come out openly, against stalking and through Yoga attain self-confidence to speak out against exploitation. Approximately, 150 students participated in the event.
- A Mahendi competition was organised by our cultural team and the C.W.D.C supported the event on 30th December,2016, and 10 students participated in it, which was judged by Anita Tanna (Director,Raa-Positive Media).
- During the cultural events of our college, C.W.D.C supported a Rangoli competition on 29th, December, 2016 and 7 students competed and the event was judged by Dr Lata Pandya (Dept. of Gujarati, M.B.Patel, Rashtrabhasha College)
- The C.W.D.C of our college with AMWA Trust organised ‘An Interactive Workshop on Women Empowerment’ for the grass root level women at Juhapura,Ahmedabad on 27th December, 2016. Shri S.M. Peerzada (Retired Judge) presided the event. C.A. Dr.Prin.H.M.Parikh, Dr. Maherunnissa Desai, Prof.Usha Venkatesan and Ms Gulistan Kadri delivered lectures. Parallel sessions were held where students learnt and also shared their views on management, administration and accounting skills with the women involved in Khakhra Making, Embroidering, Mehendi making and those involved in micro finance. They visited the in-house library. 25 students and 70 students from the grass root level participated.
- Ten students, Harsh Chauhan, Kamal Parmar, Deval Parmar, Harshil Parmar,Akshay Barot and others actively participated in an event ‘Salute India, N.R.I Award-2016 on 22nd December,2016, which was organised by Global Gujarati Federation(GGF) and presented by RAA Positive Media, where 6 Gujaratis were felicitated.
- On the 13th of August 2016, The CWDC of RJTCC in collaboration with the Unity Trust celebrated the Raksha Bandhan as a festival of communal harmony. Mr. Indukumar Jani presided the function, Principal CA Dr. H. M. Parikh, Mr. A. A. Shaikh, Mr. Usmanbhai Maru, Dr. Meherunnissa Desai , Prof. Usha Iyengar and other dignitaries graced the function which was held at New Age High School Juhapura. Students of both the institutions tied Rakhi as a mark of communal harmony. Elocution Competition was held on the topic “Manavata Aej Sacho Dharma” Around 40 students from the college participated in the event.
- A 3 day self defense workshop for girls of our college, was organized from 8th to 10th August, 2016. This training was to enable the girls to face the adversities that may arise at home, outside and at work place. C. A. Dr. Principal Hiten Parikh felicitated Guru Hemang Prajapati and his team who trained the students, during the valedictory function, 60 students benefited from this session.
- RJTCC collegiate women development cell organized an orientation programme on 2nd August 2016 at RJTCC campus. The guests of honour for this event were Prin. Dr. Shirali Mehta of SLU College and Prof. ChandrikaBen Raval of Sociology Department, Gujarat University. They addressed the gathering on the role of Women Development Cell and the rights & responsibilities of women in society. Trophies & certificates were awarded to students who contributed towards the functioning of this cell. C. A. Dr. H. M. Parikh, our Principal graced the occasion. Students enthusiastically participated in the discussion.
Activities during 2015-16
- One day State Level Workshop-CWDC- The Collegiate Women Development Cell (CWDC) of RJTCC organized a one day state level workshop on “Revisiting Women Empowerment” on 19th February,2016. Eminent personalities who have worked at the grass root level on women upliftment like Dr. Pushpaben Motiyani, Miss Ruzan Khambatta, Dr. Mandaben Parikh graced the event. In the technical sessions, papers were presented on issues like harassment of women at work place, role & Panchayati Raj in women empowerment and subtle discriminations that women face. Students participated in great numbers and were motivated by these personalities.
Activities during 2014-15
- Organized month-long Skill Imparting training programe in Garment Design and Development by technicians from ATIRA: RJTCC campus.
- Arranged lecture on Hiroshima Day, RJTCC campus.
- Organized Yogasana session for Stress Management, RJTCC campus.
- Organized Rakshabandhan celebration at Vastrapur Police station.
- Organized workshop on Martial Arts Techniques for Self-defence under the Police Heart campaign.
- Attended Breast cancer awareness programme (Pinkathon) run at Sabarmati River-Front.
Activities during 2013-14
- Attended seminar Beti Bachao women’s Right and Protection of Women from domestic violence ACT -2005 and the importance of Literacy and Health to women, Gujarat Vidyapit.
- Organized two day Workshop on self-defense for girls where Mr. Hemang Prajapati trained the girls on martial arts, RJTCC campus
- Organized two day Workshop on flower making and glass painting, RJTCC campus
- Organized lecture by Dr. Bipin Tripathi, Professor and Head of Dept., IIT Delhi, People Centric Nationalism, RJTCC campus.
Activities during 2012-13
- Organized a seminar at “AMWA” Mahila Jagruti Kendra, where the college made its presence felt by presenting a play and several speeches.
- Organised seminar The Role of Student in the Development of The Nation,RJTCC campus.
Activities during 2011-12
- Attended workshop by Women International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), Research Option for WILPFers in Gujarat , 15th Sept 2011;AWAG, Bhudarpura
- Attended workshop by WILPF Gujarat , Orientation Program “WILPF AND WE” ,5th Oct 2011; at Shree Narayan College of Commerce, Opp. ISRO, Jodhpur Tekra, Satellite.
- Attended workshop on the occasion of International Women’s Day organized by WILPF Gujarat; “Gujaratni Mahilao ni sthiti: Dasha ane disha” , 2nd March 2012; at Gujarat Vidhyapith .
- International Women’s Day Celebrations; Discussions were conducted on the following topics
- Gujarat ni mahilaoni samajik samasya ane ukel
- Gujarat ni mahilaoni arthik vikaas ma bhumika
- Gujarat ni mahilaona adhikaro ane kanuni suvidhao
- Gujarat ni mahilao ni badlati rajkiya bhagidari;
8th March 2012; Gujarat University,Ahmedabad.
- Attended Seminar; Women’s Empowerment through Economical Independence; 10th March 2012; Gujarat University, Ahmedabad.
- Attended Workshop; “Gandhi Vichar & Prasar”; 28th March 2012 ; Shanty Sansodhan Kendra, Gujarat Vidhyapith & WILPF Gujarat ,at Gujarat Vidhyapith.
Prof M M Desai-Convener
Prof K Usha-Convener
Ms Khira Pandya